Saturday, August 18, 2007

Not so Green (and still happy)


I have never watched Inconvenient Truth, I live in a large home where I run the AC all summer, I drive a big inefficient truck and Suburban, and I rarely recycle. There, I have said it. I confess.


Lately everywhere I look, it seems as if there is some type of media trying to convince me to "Go Green". Fuel-efficient cars, energy saving appliances, natural energy, recycled goods, etc. Maybe it's because I live in Boulder, or even Colorado. People here tend to very Earth friendly.


I am not feeling so green. But you know what, I don't mind. I am completely content with not being green.


That doesn't mean I don't love the earth. I think that God created the earth for our use, and it is our responsibility to take care of it. I am not out there intentionally destoying anything. When I see intentional acts of destroying the Earth I cringe. For example I was just down at the Animas river in Durango and every couple 100 yards there were large pieces of cars, bedsprings, and other metal objects littering the banks. Apparantly people thought it would be smart to use cars to line the banks of the river to help avoid erosion.


So intentionalliy destroying the environment is wrong. But using modern things that make life simpler and more enjoyable can't be so wrong. I am not willing to give up the modern conveniences that I enjoy so much just to be green.


Take for example, my truck. I love my truck! I love every bit of the 6,000 lbs, gas guzzling, 4 wheel drive machine that is definately anti-green.



Would it really help out the Earth that much if I were to sell my truck and go by a Prius? Probably not.


Here are some reasons why my truck is practical:


  1. I like to take my family places. There are 6 of us. You need a large vehicle to transport a family of 6.

  2. I have 2 big dogs that like to get wet and dirty. There is no better vehicle for transporting them.

  3. I like to feel safe while I am driving. When I am the biggest car on the road, that provides a level of safety that I like. If I crashed into a Prius, I think I would come out less harmed.

  4. Have you ever gone to Home Depot with an Accord?

  5. It matches my life. I am LDS and have 2 boys. That means many years of Scout Camps and Elders Quorum moves where a truck will come in handy.

How about you? Are you Green?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Well, I'm more green that Al Gore, and so are you. I also think you are more green than you give yourself credit for. You didn't buy a new crib, swing, stroller with each baby. You have refinished furniture and bought neutral stuff you like for years. All that stuff is very green. I know, I found out on Oprah. You guys walk the kids to school...all green. Anytime you are feeling cheap, call it green. "No Rachel, you may not have a new sweater, you're old one is fine and we are environmentalists here..."

Anonymous said...

I am not very green either. Granted I never bought new baby furniture and did buy many things at garage sales but I am not sure that was because I was trying to be earth friendly. It was more because we had no money! I am trying to recycle conisidering we live in one of the "greenest" places in the country. And when they come out with a Hybrid Suburban I will getting it. But sadly, not because its better for the enviroment but rather my checkbook. I guess I am only green when it comes to money. How sad am I!

Andrew and Emily said...

My new skateboard says "Green Feet" on the bottom...I guess because it doesn't use gas. That's my only green aspect.

By the way, who is Jessica? Did the York family have to start out-sourcing for comments?

Chris said...

Jessica is Jessica Ellis. When I originally setup the blog, it was intended for just Yorks. However, Friends and extended family were all interested so I extended the scope of the audience. Anyone is welcome to comment. Go ahead and send the URL to your friends and anyone else interested.