So the family computer crashed this week. It's quite old and instead of paying money to fix it, I thought it was time to replace it. However in thinking through the past 5 years I have owned it, I realized that it might be time for a change. I am considering replacing it with a Mac. For those that know me well, you probably thought those words would never come out of my mouth.
While most pro-Microsoft users can't stand the new Apple commercials with the PC guy and the Mac guy, I was able to relate very well. Since upgrading my own laptop to Vista, and the various issues I have had in the past with the other Windows computers in my house, those commercials really struck a cord with me.
Ever since I was 12, when I installed my first Operating system (MS-DOS, pre-windows, pre-internet, etc.), I have always used Microsoft operating systems and know quite a bit about computers and Windows. In fact I hold quite a few Microsoft certifications and have made a great living from this knowledge. However, just because I know how to fix them and am quite capable, doesn't mean I want to spend my time fixing things.
The longer I work with technology, the more I just want it to work. I am tired of tweaking settings, installing patches, configuring anti-virus software, scanning for spyware, etc. I use my own laptop for work every day and can keep it in good working order simply because I am the only one who uses it and am aware of all the changes made to it. However the family computer has 4 kids using it every day and I never know the state it is in. It seems like a very regular event for a child to approach me and say "Dad, the computer is messed up. I can't [insert issue here]...".
So since I have never owned a Mac, I am looking for some data. I have been researching and asking questions, and I am having a hard time filtering out the fanatics that claim Mac can do no wrong and that OS X is perfect, to the Mac sucks crowds. Is there any objective data out there? If there are any of you out there who can offer objective advice, bring it on.
7 comments:
Look at you turning to the dark side. You forgot to mention that you even bought your very own IPOD. What is the world coming to!!! I can't wait to see what Jesse has to say.
I am interested in knowing what you find out. I have had similar debates. I think I might try out the mac next time just for the heck of it.
I can't respond honestly to this entry as it would not be appropriate to put on a family website...traitor. Is your next post about your decision to register Democrat? become a Muslim? club baby seals? Who are you?
My family's computer works just fine and with very little tweaking. It must be the quality of the consultant.....or the quality of the parenting...
I knew this post would not be looked upon favorably by Ike, but I had no idea Jessica was just as biased. I will try and ignore the hurtful remarks because I know that Ike is brainwashed and has probably done the same to Jessica.
Beyond the whole marketing, loyalty, parenting issues...I have to say that the most frustrating computer experience I've ever had was with a Mac. I worked on one when I wrote for the magazine and it crashed completely 5 times a day and I spent a lot of time without a computer at all because it was in the shop. Many of my workmates had the same experience on their Macs. All I can figure is that the Mac loyalty is based on pure emotion because it can't be performance. O.K. this was on 90s machines--but the Mac lovers (like my boss) were saying the same things back then as they are now.
Dude! I guess I came to the right place! Computers are computers. Both of them have issues. There are only Macs at my house - although the opinions you'll get from Dan are not going to be unbiased - mine, I think, are.
We have an iMac, which I work on, and it completely crashed once. Not good. We had the information backed up. Unfortunately - Dan dropped the backup hard drive. (I think that something there was MEANT to be lost.) To date, and I've been living in a mac household for 14 years, that's my biggest frustration. It crashed once. Oh, but there's always the thing about not having software available for macs. That's a pain. There are ways around it, however, and the programs available for macs are FANTASTIC and super easy to work with.
How was that?
Post a Comment