Thursday, July 17, 2008

Text Messaging


Anybody who has had to deal with teenagers can relate to this one. A trend that seems to be increasingly getting worse. Obviously bad enough for the Church to publish a Mormonad about. I used to be a fan of text messaging. However recently I am starting to change my mind.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I agree. I love txt messaging for its ability to quickly communicate information without interupting the receiver...however, that does not seem to be how teenagers use this feature. I actually question the whole cel phone thing for teenagers. It allows them to completely remove their parents from their social life. I think in high school, I would like it to be a little more difficult for members of the opposite sex to get a hold of my kid.

Chris said...

So what's the solution. In this day and age, it's almost a given that kids will have cell phones.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is just a problem with teenagers. I have seen many adults constantly receive/send texts and ignore those they are with. As for having cell phones, I actually like my kids having them. I like that I can get a hold of them at any time and they can get a hold of me. A friend once told me that her kids would use their phones to get them out of bad situations. They would go to the bathroom, call up their mom and tell her what was going on. A few minutes later, their phone would ring and their mom would demand them to go home. It was an easy way out for her boys.

Jessica said...

I completely agree with Robyn about adults being as big a problem. Sometimes I am that problem. And, having no teenagers yet...everything is theory. Right now, my kids don't have cell phones, but we have a third cell phone that we send with them when we want them to carry one. I have heard a lot of stories about midnight txting and talking, that most kids are available to anybody and everybody 24/7. What are the rules concerning cell phones in your house?

Tylershark said...

I am generally against cell phones for teenagers during regular daytime or sleeping hours. Why on earth does a kid need a cell phone while at school? I can see the benefit of a teenage cell if they are out and about town during the evening for safety reasons.

As far a texting goes... with the new technology that allows people to communicate verbally, in real time, instantaneously, over the telephone, it would seem that the glorified Morse code of texting should die soon. Oh wait, I guess we already had that ability before texting appeared. Who knows then. I think texting is a step backward.