Monday, September 27, 2004

Yosemite

My family and I just got back from a week in Yosemite National Park. This was our first time there and we had a great experience. I have to say that it is probably the most beautiful place I have camped. The mountains are amazing there. We saw lots of wildlife and the kids had a great time exploring the sequoia forests. We all had bikes and spent a lot of time biking through the valley.

My highlight for the week was climbing to the top of "Half Dome". The hike took me 10 hours to complete. 17 miles consisting of 5000 vertical feet of elevation gain. The last 1000 feet was a 50% grade of slope on slick granite. There was a metal cable that you had to pull yourself up with to make it to the top. During the hike, I passed 2 waterfalls. One of them I had to climb granite steps up almost 1000 feet alongside of the waterfall. After climbing those steps my legs felt like rubber! Even today they are a little sore.

I highly recommend Yosemite for a great camping experience. its a 7-8 hour drive from San Diego but its well worth it.

I will post pictures as soon as I download them off my camera.

No comments: